Monday, February 21, 2011

Kind of cool...

Since I have had the Wiring Specialties wiring harness, I've been tackling some wiring demons in my car.  Once I had the harness entirely hooked up, I discovered that the starter would not engage when the key was turned to "start"

After much aggravation it turned out to be pretty simple.  The guy who previously owned the car had an anti-theft system in the car which tied into the ignition system.  Well, needless to say, they did a horrible job and used butt connectors.  So I guess there was enough tension on the wiring at one point or another to pull the wires out of the connector.

So at this point the car was turning over VERY slowly, but it WAS turning over.  Next was to see why it wouldn't start!  I popped open the coilpack cover and saw some moisture near the coilpacks.  Once I pulled them out I saw PUDDLES of water around my spark plugs.  EW.

So I pulled my plugs, let the cylinders air out a bit and got some new plugs.  My friend Andy suggested to get some starter fluid to spray into the cylinders before putting the new plugs in.  I thought it sounded like a pretty good idea and went with it.  So now with new plugs and the coilpacks all cleaned up and the starter fluid in each cylinder I again tried to turn the car over...

After 3 or so slow cranks the car started right up and revved to about 2500rpm and slowly died again.  So my best guess at this point is that the starter fluid worked in starting the engine, and caused the high idle, and once it all burned off, the engine shut back down.  Assuming this is correct, leads me to believe that the engine is being starved of fuel.  So those will be the next series of tests I will preform!


and since blogs without pictures are lame...

No comments:

Post a Comment